Monday, January 5, 2009

G9: Focus Vertically or Horizontally?

.
Although I’ve made several postings about focusing the G9 (sort of cross referenced here), a few days ago I began to think that my G9 was focusing much better when held horizontally (landscape) than when held vertically (portrait). In fact, sometimes it would not focus when turned vertically. Was my G9 broken?

On further review, I’ve come to realize that the small Flexizone frame works best on vertical lines when held horizontally and on horizontal lines when held vertically. Said another way, when shooting in landscape orientation (the “normal” shot), look for a vertical line on which to focus. When shooting a portrait, look for a horizontal line and focus on it.

My problem – when I feared my G9 was broken – was that I was shooting in portrait orientation and the subject lines were vertical. The G9 just would not focus on those vertical lines with the small Flexizone frame. But turning the camera to landscape orientation, it focused immediately.

In much the same way, when using the small Flexizone frame, the G9 struggles to focus on simple horizontal lines when the camera is in landscape orientation. Turned vertically, focusing is routine on those same horizontal lines.

The AiAF matrix of focus points does not have this problem – probably because one of the focus points usually finds an appropriate contrast pattern.

I still prefer the small Flexizone frame but now have a better understanding of those missed focuses. Strange, but true.
.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So far I've understood that there should be vertical line crossing the focus box to get it focusing.

And I have a strong feeling that this G9 of mine is having moods. Sometimes it's really hard to get it focusing at all. -REALLY pissed of with that sometimes.

Did anybody else loose the green printings on the ISO and mode dials like I have?

Unknown said...

Great blog btw! I just got the G10 and you've provided some good notes and inspirations. :)