Monday, April 2, 2012

G1X: Harbor

OS Beach

Just a few shots from my walk-about this morning.  All shots were taken with the G1X in RAW+JPEG.  The in-camera JPEG is shown without additional processing except to reduce in size.

OS Beach

At this point, I would be showing off a beautiful panoramic view of the harbor except for a minor (!) but embarrassing error on my part.  

OS Beach

OK, not so minor when every shot is over exposed by two stops! 

OS Beach

Here’s what happened.  Just before leaving the area, running a bit late, I decided to grab a few shots for stitching to make a panorama.   I’d been shooting in Av mode at ISO 100, f11.  For the panorama, I switched to manual focus at infinity and also set manual exposure at 1/100 second and f11.  I completely forgot that the G1X retains an independent ISO setting for manual exposure.  After getting five shots for stitching, I quickly turned the camera off, returned to the car and hurried away confident that I had good shots.  No chimping – that’s confidence!  Tonight I see that those shots were taken at ISO 400 and are badly overexposed. 

Don’t let it happen to you!  In manual exposure mode, the G1X remembers the ISO setting from the previous time it was in manual exposure mode.

No comments: