Sunday, October 28, 2012

Ten Novels: Favorites or Somehow Remembered

Diverting from the usual program, here are my top ten novels (why ten? Well, I’m an engineer and, besides, have ten fingers). Not necessarily in any particular order:

  • “The Time Keeper” by Mitch Albom
  • “Illusions - The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah”, by Richard Bach
  • “Time and Again” by Jack Finney
  • “Joshua” by Joseph Girzone
  • “Cold Sassy Tree” by Olive Ann Burns
  • “A River Runs through It” by Norman Maclean
  • “The Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger
  • “The Sound and the Fury” by William Faulkner
  • “Cannery Row” by John Steinbeck
  • “This Random Sky” by James L. Summers
  • “The Red Car” by Don Stanford
  • “The Mudhen” by Merritt Parmelee Allen

Somehow, each of these novels have impressed me enough that I’ve kept a copy and read them more than once. I think I’ve read “Illusions” at least four times and began to re-read “The Time Keeper” immediately after finishing it the first time.

As for favorite novelists, I usually begin by naming Steinbeck, Hemingway and Twain but on making this list realize that I’ve not re-read any Hemingway in many years.

As I list these novels, the sad thing is that my own is not among them – apparently, you have to actually write it down before it can be printed. I have taken ten pretty good photographs though.

No comments: